Monday, February 8, 2010

How Was Your Sunday?

In case you might be wondering how my Mom's Sunday was, her email to me this morning should leave no doubt.

Matthew & Nancy,

Our Sunday:

I invited Enid for dinner. She wasn't home when I called her Sunday morning so left a message (thinking she just hadn't made it to the phone). Never heard back as to whether she planned to come for dinner at four. I told her we were going to church at one and to leave a message, I'd be home in-between meetings to turn the heat down on the spare ribs and would have her answer.

Fast Meeting was still going strong after time to quit, I got up and left Al. By then the ribs had been in the oven for 1 1/2 hours at 400 degrees. I usually only bake them at that temp for 45 minutes to an hour. Took them out, decided they were done, didn't go back to church, because now I had to baste the ribs at a lower temp.

After inviting Enid, and before going to church Robin called. She's been in town since last week. I had invited them to dinner and the Super Bowl last week but Gary said he doesn't watch TV and it was decided they weren't interested.

So................about noon Robin calls and asks, what time does the game start. I died. I've only made one batch of tapioca pudding, only have enough ribs for the three of us, and the counter is set for three. Can't sit Robin at our counter, would have to use the dining room table. All this is going around in my mind, when Robin says, "We won't come for dinner, but will come for the game." I explain about Enid being invited.

My dinner turns out perfect, maybe cooked the cabbage a touch over-done. I fixed twice baked potatoes, ribs, cabbage, candied yam, and applesauce, and pudding.

Before going to church, I realize I now have to fix some dessert for R&G. Dash around making a pudding I haven't made since being married to Al. Do you remember the pudding I made with fruit cocktail? It's loaded with sugar, like all old recipes. I make it, it has to bake for 30 minutes. That cuts us short for getting to church on time but we make it. Totally crowded, Chloe recognized for being baptized the day before, and a baby being blessed, so we sit front side, three rows back.

Because the meat is so done I try to reach Enid, still no answer, call her neighbor, no answer, waiting for Al to come home and drive over, when Enid calls. Move dinner up to 3:30. Still have to bake the ribs some more, but dinner will be ready by 3:30.

She comes 15 minutes early and insists on sitting on the bar stool at her place. I hate company in my kitchen when I'm in the last phase of cooking.

We finish dinner, dishes, and are enjoying the pictures in the gadget you gave us, when Hicks show up. So it all worked out. Enid left. Hicks decided not to come until after 5, knowing Enid was here. They left close to nine. Everyone was wanting the Colts. Mark called after the second killer touchdown, he wanted the Saints.

When I went to serve the pudding I remembered Gary is a diabetic now, so he didn't have any, ate peanuts instead. Robin loved it, wants the recipe. I put ice cream on top with caramel drizzled over the ice cream.

Robin worked on a throw for a granddaughter and we visited. We didn't have the sound on the whole time.

Mark said they tried to call you guys but no answer, wondered if we'd talked with you, said no.

That's how we spent Sunday.

Sorry things are not working on the car, Al's at the temple until after two. I'm doing laundry and hiding from Betty, then going visiting teaching to three new people at one. We're meeting Robin and Gary at 5 at the Olive Garden for dinner. Hoping to be finished so we can go to a viewing before eight.

Love, Mom


Nancy particularly loves reading my mom's "crazy" emails. What did you think?

2 comments:

Cormorant said...

That is hilarious!

Andrea! said...

I'm exhausted from reading this! and I'm also craving some tapioca pudding!